[Bringing You Quality Videogames for over 75 Years][Dejobaan Games Blog][About Dejobaan Games]

 
 

Monday, July 13, 2009

Luke M. on the Aaaaa! Mechanic

Luke M., a fellow game designer, was kind enough to write in about the rules behind Aaaaa!. How do we make them better? How do we make them more satisfying? The trick, he says, is this:
Calculating risk isn’t simple, and conveying how risky the players actions were back to them is going to be very damn difficult.
So, let's see what he has to say:
The underlying mechanic is brilliantly simple. It truly is a simple personification of risk vs. reward design.

That said, although the risk is immediately obvious (close to building = inherently risky, people draw off their instinctual knowledge for that) the reward is not as obvious. It took me a while to understand that I acquire hugs faster the closer I am to a building. Or atleast I assume I do… I guess the main thing here is that the feedback mechanism for reward isn’t clear enough in contrast of the super obvious risk mechanism.

Ok so now here is my main thing. Scoring a kiss doesn’t seem to take into account proximity. If it does then I guess the problem is that it’s not obvious to me that it does, and you can ignore everything below!

Scoring a kiss is, to me as a designer at least, far riskier. To score hugs, I can get slowly closer and closer to the building and if I get too closer, then I’ll just get bumped. Scoring a really close kiss to a top edge however is a totally different prospect, get a tiny bit too close and SPLAT, you hit the top edge of the structure. The risk is on a totally new level. What I would love is if a kiss used proximity as well, and this proximity was based purely off the horizontal axis, like so:



To me, skimming those edges is the massive risk. That, and seeing the top edge of a building whip past at some huge speed is immensely satisfying.

Even riskier is doing something like this:




Now we are doing really risky behavior, simply because as you approach a maximum horizontal speed, you have less viable options in terms of adjusting your trajectory. I would just love to see this kind of crazy behavior rewarded in some way as well, although I’m not sure what a good mechanic for conveying this concept would be. Perhaps a combination of proximity and horizontal velocity?

I should mention that, as Luke says, the game does not actually take into account proximity for kisses. After a bit of back-and-forth, he expanded on his thoughts:

I can completely understand why the system works the way it does, and it seems obvious to me now. I think one major think that threw me was the presence of a proximity meter on the side of the screen. Seeing this made me think that there must be an association with the scoring mechanism.

I guess although it’s nice to have a meter, I can already see how close I am to a building based off what is on screen. Additionally feedback like a crazy “whipping past something close to me” sound that scales in as I get closer and closer , or some mild screen shake could even replace the meter. This could also add some positive visceral feedback as a reward to skimming really close to the buildings.

(Random anecdote: I remember the first game I worked on, a GBA title. It was a fighting game with a good old fashioned combo meter. The more dudes you killed in a set amount of time, the more points you got. On the combos, we had this amazing sound that would sound better and higher every time your combo went up. People were striving for combos, trying to pull off the craziest ones they could just to hear how high the feedback sound would go.. they didn’t eve care about the points! It was surprising to me just how powerful some auditory feedback was to the player, where as the actual intended reward of more points had much less of an impact, depending on the type of player).

The idea of a kiss being 1000pts and a hug being 100pts is also super interesting. It would seem to be in the players best interests to try and score tons of kisses with lots of horizontal traversal, as each Kiss yields the same as 10 hug ‘moments’, or better yet, stay near a building scoring hugs while skimming nearby objects for kisses. This obviously makes for some interesting choices for the player to make in terms of their path... however with my obvious confusion from the previous email, I was making path choices based off the totally wrong mechanism! I guess although it is surely displayed on the score screen, I wasn’t previously aware of just how much a kiss is worth, compared to a measly hug J. (Now that I think about it, its named rather brilliantly, as a kiss is a more intimate expression than a hug).

In regards to the ’just skim the building’ issue, one possible solution to encourage players to make some super risky moves would be some scoring plate placements. Better yet, as the super risky stuff usually involves rapid horizontal traversal, some vertically aligned plates could have some fun placements:


I think he's potentially onto something, and have prodded our internal team about this. (Especially since I'd like to focus more on audio design.) But I'd like to invite comment -- what does everyone else think?

2 Comments:

  • My main problem with kisses is that it's pretty hard to tell at what height and distance one can get kisses from some objects. Sometimes I get tons of them by randomly flying about, other times i consciously target one object only to find out that it's one huge mega structure and sticking with other, straight (and more boring) paths would've gotten me more kisses.

    As for edge skimming, maybe it would be possible to involve spectators? Something like being able to pick up a spectator when in close proximity, take them along for a ride to gain extra points which are only rewarded though when they're dropped off safely somewhere else?

    By Blogger Mithaldu, At July 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

  • I thought Luke M's blog on this game was excellent and would love to see the ideas incorporated into the game.


    As for the in game advertising; I really never saw it as that. To be honest I've never found the time to even look at the adverts properly as I’m too busy trying to avoid objects, lol; actually I don’t see them as adverts. They add certain atmospheres akin to Blade Runner and for that reason I'd hate to see them removed. As far as the sexual question - the drugs I have to take due to a serious rta nearly four years ago, mainly opiates, render me uninterested in sex, and I see no lewdness in any of the images portrayed. I think what I've seen so far from playing the full pre-release version and the Alpha release; they are very tasteful. They should definitely not be removed as I think that would take away some of the feel; though for the sake of those who do find them tasteless, maybe add a toggle for switching them off. Maybe add the ability to add your own images then you could create a brilliant interactive album,– customize it around your own tastes. Surely this would be quite easy to accomplish, and is some odd way may even add a new level of difficulty to the game as you would be more prone to distraction if they were images you liked.

    Incorporate falling objects with variable velocities from slow to just below the speed at which your character falls. The objects would be triggered by the initiation of the fall so as to make it difficult to judge; you could include collisions that create random/unpredictable movement of the falling objects as well)

    I think it would be brilliant if it was possible to create some levels where the buildings/objects were in constant (and variable) movement around various points, plus object moving in and out of each others vectors. This would add a lot of re-playability IMO. You could even have the buildings objects changing size and even shapes so as to create even more difficulty levels.

    Finally I think it would be brilliant if a levels editor was included in the package. I'd actually pay double the present cost of the game for a levels editor. You could create a forum specifically for the editor, with a section devoted to custom made levels. This game is as good as a well known arkanoid series called Ricochet, which released a levels editor after the second game in the series around 5 years ago. There are now over 80 000 custom made levels available from the site devoted to the game; (in fact the last in the series made them available directly from in game). You could run promotions and competitions to see who comes up with the best series of levels. Another game that has done this is a game called Atmosphir. I see loads of fan made levels being uploaded every day for that game.

    This game is easily as good as both of those games. In fact I'd say its better. There's so much potential for expansion.

    Regards

    Whiterabbit aka Stephen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 18, 2009 at 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home






 
 

Copyright ©1999-2009 by Dejobaan Games, LLC